Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Abandoned Old KY Home

I drove by this house today. I have to travel this route every so often and have seen this house standing empty for over two years now. Today the yard has been well manicured, the ivy is gone and the trees have been cut down. I'm curious to the history that is here. When I stopped I walked around the back and discovered that some of the locals had destroyed what they could and spray painted the walls. It had become a night time haunt for whom ever wanted to come and spend a night partying. Nature was slowly reclaiming the structure as vines had penetrated the walls and were threatening the integrity of its durability.
I thought about when it was built and how they may have measured out the foundation. I imagined the farm that once produced beef and perhaps corn. Now it was abandoned standing empty with broken windows. It was now a haven for wildlife.
I could imagine children playing around the house and neighbors attending celebrations. There had to be a farm dog helping herd the cattle and neighbors helping put up hay at harvest time. This house is beautiful and it's charm is wonderful. Someone took a lot of pride in applying the stone facade. How then did it come to be in such disrepair?
Even though the trees and grass is well manicured the structure still remains in shambles. I can't imagine it will ever be returned to its past glory where fire's roared in the fire places. The tin roof has lost its ability to shed water and the interior has been exposed to the elements for years. Even so, someone has a dream to do some restoration. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming months as I travel this road again. There may be new hope for this Old Kentucky Home once again. At that point, the past will meet the future. This legacy of some one's dream will continue to grow dear in some one's heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment