Monday, November 16, 2009

What is community?

I've moved around a lot in my lifetime. I've often struggled with connecting with a particular community. I've been in the military, served as a pastor and have worked from California to Italy. I've seen all kinds of people in the world. One thing I know is that I need to connect with community. I don't do well when I'm alone.

Another thing I've discovered is that there are so many places to find community. Face to face is always the best. You can hear a tone, see a face that displays an emotion, and feel a touch when you shake hands or pat each other on the back.

There is no substitute for community. Live voices whether they be spoken or written have a place in helping me think, grow, love and imagine life. I've discovered my community is no longer a single zip code... but the planet earth. Community is the mass of humanity that can connect with my heart or my heart with the voice of the community. It's a place to exchange ideas and to respect where others are coming from. So I will continue to search for community where ever I may be.

1 comment:

  1. OH boy...you hit a biggie with me on this one! First off, bravo to you for holding onto the values of 'community'. It has become lost in our advancements of society. One principal I would like to see is removing some 'labels' we put on things, it creates divisions and segregations and isolation. I was at a workshop last spring and we were asked to go outside and explore the world through a new set of eyes, and particularily find something that you hold a negative value to. It was so interesting...you had to force yourself to investigate and see the beauty and value of it without preconceived notions. That is only one aspect of community. We need each other, each and every one of us has value and in crisis often times you will need to rely on others for support. Unfortunately it takes a crisis for this to manifest. Letting go of fears and labels and opening our hearts to each other is such a peaceful, inspiring and fufilling way to live. I will advocate for community for the rest of my existence...life is so much sweeter holding each others hands walking through it.

    ReplyDelete